Final Fantasy 16 is out now worldwide on PS5 after a long wait. The game is massive, and there’s a lot to keep in mind when you play it. Read my Final Fantasy 16 PS5 review here. Having finished the game and already put in a good amount of time into New Game Plus, I wanted to help new players with the basics. Note that this guide has major mid-game spoilers for Final Fantasy 16. This Final Fantasy 16 Limit Break guide will cover unlocking Clive’s Limit Break, upgrading it, and more.
This Final Fantasy 16 guide has major story spoilers for the middle of the main campaign.
How to unlock the Limit Break gauge in FF16
After you progress into the story and earn the “Acceptance” trophy, you will have seen a specific story beat about Clive accepting his past. You will then be shown a cut-scene with Hugo. After that, you get the prompt that you have gained control of Eikon Ifrit. This lets you use more abilities, but also unlocks the Limit Break gauge which is below your HP bar.
How to use Limit Break in Final Fantasy 16
When the bar or a portion of the bar (a full segment) is filled up, you can press L3 and R3 together to semi-prime into Ifrit. This gives you increased attack potency and speed, gradual HP regeneration, and guard-breaking strikes.
How to upgrade the Limit Break gauge in FF16
You can upgrade this by addition additional gauges through the Abilities menu in the middle. There’s a Limit Break upgrade option.
Final Fantasy XVI core development team
- Producer – Naoki Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, DRAGON QUEST X, DRAGON QUEST: Monster Battle Road)
- Main Director – Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY V, SaGa Frontier, THE LAST REMNANT)
- Creative Director & Original Screenplay – Kazutoyo Maehiro (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XII, THE LAST REMNANT)
- Localization Director – Michael-Christopher Koji Fox (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XI Online, FINAL FANTASY VII Dirge of Cerberus)
- Art Director – Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XII, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS)
- Combat Director – Ryota Suzuki (DEVIL MAY CRY 5, Dragon’s Dogma and MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 2 (All published by CAPCOM))
- Character Design – Kazuya Takahashi (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XI Online, FINAL FANTASY X)
- Composer – Masayoshi Soken (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, Nanashi no Game series, Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (Published by Nintendo)
Final Fantasy XVI is out now worldwide on PS5. Read our review here.