While Sony is yet to reveal the PS5 price or release date, multiple India stores have listings for pre-order registration live. In addition to the PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition consoles, it appears that a slew of accessories and games will also be making their way to India at launch too as well as the DualSense controller. After the initial listings on Amazon and Flipkart, it appears that other game stores will be getting it too. Here’s what you need to know.
Where to buy the PS5 in India
- Games The Shop: the specialist retailer has the PS5 listed for pre-order registration. Considering its parent company E-xpress works with Sony in terms of distributing and selling digital codes for the PS Store and PS Plus, it’s a safe bet that it would have stock in time for launch.
- Amazon India: the e-commerce giant has always had a decent foothold in the games space in India in terms of volumes and scale. Outside of its Xbox One launch, the company has never really delivered on day one deliveries for games. Most notoriously with FIFA 16, 17, and 18 all being delayed. Perhaps it would fare better with the PS5.
- Flipkart: the Walmart-owned company was one of the earliest proponents of online sales. However it hasn’t been as aggressive as it used to be (which is a good thing when you consider how mismanaged past efforts have been). Hopefully it handles the PS5 launch efficiently.
- ShopAtSC.com: SC is short for Sony Center, which is Sony’s retail chain with a huge offline presence. Going online is a smart move if Sony decide to leverage its Sony Centers for delivery making it a strong option for PS5 pre-orders. Interestingly, it’s the only site with full PS5 specifications which is probably accurate considering well, it’s an online Sony Center. We’ve listed them towards at the end of this piece.
When will PS5 pre-orders begin in India?
It’s quite likely that pre-order registrations exist to judge if audiences are interested in the console before its price has been revealed and pre-orders can begin in earnest.
According to Sony pre-orders for the PS5 have not gone live anywhere in the world and India is no different.
“At this point in time, pre-orders are neither encouraged nor allowed from Sony,” confirmed a spokesperson for Sony India to The Mako Reactor via email nearly three weeks ago.
Makes sense when you consider a price hasn’t been announced yet. Furthermore, the likelihood of supply being widespread for India is also a concern.
With the PS4, BIS rules ensured that initial supply was inconsistent at best and the PS4 Pro had stock shortages for nearly a year since its India release date.
- CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
- Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
- Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- I/O Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable storage: NVMe SSD Slot
- External storage: USB HDD Support
- Optical drive: 4K UHD Blu-Ray Drive
PS5 India launch availability: will all stores have it?
Given that only these four stores have the PS5 listed, it’s safe to say that Sony has a preferred partners list and they’re on it. No independent retailers or large format stores like Croma or Reliance Digital appear to have any PS5 listings at the moment. It will be interesting to see if more stores stock the PS5 at launch in India. While we have asked Sony if it would be exclusive to these outlets, there’s been no reply to our request for comment just yet. With supplies expected to be limited, we don’t expect most Indian game stores to stock the PS5 officially at launch in the country.