Square Enix’s upcoming PS5 Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy XVI, recently went gold with months left for its release date. Earlier today, Sony’s State of Play revealed a ton of new Final Fantasy XVI gameplay details including training, hunts, battles, advisors, and also the official theme song. Watch the Final Fantasy XVI State of Play showcase below:
Final Fantasy XVI State of Play new gameplay details
- New Hideaway advisors – The Hideaway, which serves as protagonist Clive’s base, will give players the opportunity to discover more about the world of Valisthea, from past to present, by speaking to historian Harpocrates, as well as view the relationship chart of the characters by speaking to military scholar Vivian.
- New training function – Players can battle in training mode by accessing the ‘Arete Stone’ in the Hideaway. This feature will be useful when wanting to practice a combination of abilities, particularly after learning a new skill.
- New hunts – More adventures can be accessed from the Hideaway as players can check the Wanted Posters to discover powerful monsters roaming around the world. Defeating these enemies will yield powerful rewards.
- New battle footage – View newly released footage showcasing a variety of Clive’s combat actions, Eikon battles and more.
Final Fantasy XVI official theme song video
Square Enix also announced that the singer-songwriter Kenshi Yonezu is performing the theme song ‘Tsuki Wo Miteita – Moongazing’. The theme song teaser video can be viewed below:
Final Fantasy XVI new PS5 gameplay screenshots from April 2023 State of Play
Check out all the new screenshots in the gallery below:
Final Fantasy XVI core development team
- Producer – Naoki Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, DRAGON QUEST X, DRAGON QUEST: Monster Battle Road)
- Main Director – Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY V, SaGa Frontier, THE LAST REMNANT)
- Creative Director & Original Screenplay – Kazutoyo Maehiro (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XII, THE LAST REMNANT)
- Localization Director – Michael-Christopher Koji Fox (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XI Online, FINAL FANTASY VII Dirge of Cerberus)
- Art Director – Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XII, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS)
- Combat Director – Ryota Suzuki (DEVIL MAY CRY 5, Dragon’s Dogma and MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 2 (All published by CAPCOM))
- Character Design – Kazuya Takahashi (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XI Online, FINAL FANTASY X)
- Composer – Masayoshi Soken (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, Nanashi no Game series, Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (Published by Nintendo)
Alongside the Final Fantasy XVI Ambition story trailer, new screenshots have were released and it continues to look amazing in the trailer. Hopefully we don’t have to wait too long for a release date. Once we get a confirmed release date, we will also know the approximate PC release date for the game going by the exclusivity. I’m not sure if this means it will also come to Xbox in six months considering Final Fantasy VII Remake is not on Xbox after over a year.
Final Fantasy XVI releases on June 22 for PS5.