Update: Added details on Western Ghostpia Season One Nintendo Switch and Steam release through PQube.
Developer Chosuido and publisher room6 (Unreal Life) just announced that the visual novel Ghostpia Season One launches this week for Nintendo Switch in Japan. Ghostpia Season One was revealed a while ago and is also planned to hit Steam. The original version was also brought to iOS, but the new release will be arriving with English support on Nintendo Switch next week with pre-orders going live on the eShop from tomorrow. Ghostpia Season One is set in a snowy town where ghosts live. It features gorgeous visuals and lovely music going by the trailer. Watch the Ghostpia Season One Japanese Switch trailer below:
Ghostpia Season One Western release date
While the Japanese version of Ghostpia Season One has English support, a global release through PQube has just been announced for Switch and Steam. Watch the new Western trailer below:
Ghostpia Season One features for Switch and Steam
The following features have been revealed by PQube:
- Kinetic gameplay – No branching routes or quick-time events, ‘ghostpia’ is designed for you to sit back and sink into the storyline, enjoying it like a movie
- Dynamic Visual Novel – Explore a story filled with movement, animation and beautiful sounds that elevates the traditional visual novel experience. Full of intense emotion and themes of friendship, loneliness, and an endless revival
- Beautiful soundtrack and sound effects – the gentle music crafts the atmosphere of this snowy ghost town, drawing you into its world
- A dazzling Lo-fi aesthetic – picture book styled illustrations and the option to turn glitch effects on or off
- An isolated town – separated from the world by snow, this is a town where immortal “ghosts”, people who are unable to die, reside
- Lovable Characters – ‘ghostpia’ is filled with strange and interesting characters, from the protagonist Sayoko to the mysterious Yoru
- Coming West for the First Time – Originally released on mobile and web browsers only in Japan
- A story of friendship – the struggles of friendships are the core of ‘ghostpia’, as Sayoko struggles to accept people into her life
- A brand-new version of the game – with new music, higher resolution illustrations and more complex animations
- Includes the complete five episodes of ‘ghostpia’ Season One
Ghostpia Season One will be priced at 2,300 Yen on the eShop with a 15% pre-order discount from tomorrow until launch day. Check out the official Ghostpia website here. Hopefully this is getting a global release, but nothing has been confirmed yet. I’ll likely grab it on the Japanese eShop if it isn’t releasing internationally since it has English support going by the official announcement.
Ghostpia Season One launches on March 23 for Nintendo Switch on the eShop. A physical release is yet to be announced. It releases this year in the West through PQube Games.