If you’ve not caught up with all the announcements for Japanese games at the Nintendo Direct, we’ve covered the highlights so far here. Barring those, Nintendo also had many other first party announcements and third party games to showcase. These include the likes of Level-5 bringing back the beloved Fantasy Life series, a new Pikmin 4 trailer, and Nintendo Switch Online additions. The full direct is available here.
Nintendo Direct February 2023 announcements:
The Japanese game announcements are below:
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: An epic adventure across the land and skies of Hyrule awaits. In this sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, you’ll decide your own path through the sprawling landscapes of Hyrule and the mysterious islands floating in the vast skies above. Can you harness the power of Link’s new abilities to fight back against the malevolent forces that threaten the kingdom? In addition to the standard version, which will be available at a suggested retail price of $69.99, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Collector’s Edition will release on launch day at a suggested retail price of $129.99, and includes a physical version of the game, an artbook with concept art, a Steelbook case, an Iconart steel poster and a set of four pin badges. A new amiibo figure of Link from the game will also be available separately that grants access to materials and weapons, as well as a special fabric for Link’s paraglider. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdomlaunches for Nintendo Switch on May 12. Pre-orders for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom are available now in Nintendo eShop, at retail and in the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com.
- Pikmin 4: Meet Pikmin – the small, plant-like creatures you can grow, pluck, command and also overpower your enemies with during your grand mission on a strange planet! These curious helpers come in different types – fire is no sweat for Red Pikmin, and the new Ice Pikmin can freeze enemies and the environment. Use your Pikmin’s miniature might (and some strategic thinking) as you explore. You get a Space Dog, too: Oatchi can help with things like smashing obstacles and carrying Pikmin throughout your adventure. With the miniscule Pikmin and a capable canine in tow, no challenge is too big or small! Please look four-ward to the Pikmin 4 game when it traverses to Nintendo Switch July 21! Pre-orders are available now in Nintendo eShop, at retail and in the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com.
- Samba de Amigo: Party Central: Move to the beat and shake your Joy-Con controllers in a new Samba de Amigo game! Compete online*** in World Party mode or enjoy local multiplayer** with a friend to see who has the best moves! Forty songs are included, spanning a multitude of genres from around the world. So, grab those controllers and get shakin’ when Samba de Amigo: Party Central shimmies onto Nintendo Switch this summer.
- Game Boy and Game Boy Advance Games: Select Game Boy games are being added to Nintendo Switch Online! On Nintendo Switch, you can play these games anytime, anywhere – just like you could back in the day. You can use Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket or Game Boy Color screen filters to help customize your play style. And, up to two players can play compatible games together locally or online for the first time. Here’s the full list of classic games that will be available at launch, with more games being added in the future:
Game Boy – Nintendo Switch Online Games List
- Super Mario Land 2 – 6 Golden Coins
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
- GARGOYLE’S QUEST
- Game & Watch Gallery 3
- Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
- Metroid II – Return of Samus
- Wario Land 3
- Kirby’s Dream Land
Game Boy Advance – Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack Games List
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
- Kuru Kuru Kururin
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Other highlights are below:
- Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp: Calling all strategy fans – join Andy, Max, Sami and more in two full story campaigns, each one filled with colorful turn-based tactical action. Flex your strategic muscles across a multitude of modes. Design your own maps and share them with friends! You can also challenge friends to head-to-head battles online***, or up to four players locally.** Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp comes to Nintendo Switch on April 21. Pre-orders begin today in Nintendo eShop, at retail and in the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com.
- Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon: Experience a new take on the Bayonetta series starring Cereza, a young apprentice witch before she would come to be called Bayonetta. Harness Cereza’s magic and her infernal demon partner Cheshire’s ferocity to travel through a mysterious and dangerous Avalon Forest filled with puzzles and enemies. You’ll control both Cereza and Cheshire at the same time. By obtaining the elemental power of wood, rock, water and fire from the forest, new paths will open and battles can be swayed in your favor. Can Cereza gain the power to save her mother and will Cheshire ever find a way back home? Approachability options, such as reducing damage or automating some controls, can help newcomers and Bayonetta fans alike enjoy Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon when it prowls onto Nintendo Switch March 17. Pre-orders are available now in Nintendo eShop, at retail and in the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com.
- Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe: A new story will unfold in the Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe game when Magolor, the interdimensional traveler from the main adventure, loses his powers and must escape the realm between dimensions. You can access this new epilogue after clearing Story Mode. Up to four players on the same system can venture through this mysterious realm together, where there are over 20 stages to explore. Can Magolor restore his powers and safely return to his world? There will also be a Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe demo available in Nintendo eShop later today! Up to four players can play a specially arranged demo with select stages and subgames. Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe launches on Nintendo Switch Feb. 24. Pre-orders are available now in Nintendo eShop and in the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass* Vol. 3 and 4: Enrich your adventures through Aionios with new content! In Vol. 3, join forces with Masha, the newest Hero and a refined Lapidarist. Challenge Battles with roguelike elements are also being added. Add multiple Heroes and unlock special abilities for your party as you play through this challenge battle mode and earn newly added in-game outfits for your main characters. Vol. 3 of the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass launches on Feb. 15. And coming in Vol. 4 later this year, look forward to an exciting final volume featuring an original story scenario. The Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass, which includes four total volumes that will be released through the end of 2023, is available for purchase now in Nintendo eShop and in the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com.
- Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass – Inkopolis & Side Order: ThINK you’re ready for something fun? This paid DLC for the Splatoon 3 game features two waves of content. The first wave includes Inkopolis. You can make this splat-tastic place from the original Splatoon game your stomping ground. Wave 1 also includes Inkopolis Plaza, which has changed over the past several years with some new shopkeepers. The Squid Sisters will perform here during Splatfests, too! In the second wave of this DLC, a new single-player campaign called Side Order super jumps to the Splatoon 3 game. See what’s become of Inkopolis Square, the central area featured in the Splatoon 2 game. The Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass will be available for purchase later today in Nintendo eShop, with Wave 1 launching this spring. Wave 2, Side Order, will launch in the future. Players will be able to download a content pack that contains bonus in-game items after purchasing the Expansion Pass.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass Wave 4: Yoshi’s Island, a new course, is zooming to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with Wave 4 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC. Birdo, who originally hit the track in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, is also being added. Returning characters from the Mario Kart series will be added in future waves. Wave 4 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC races onto the Nintendo Switch system this spring. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass includes six separate waves, with eight courses each, which will all be released by the end of 2023. Buy the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass separately in Nintendo eShop or enjoy it for no additional cost as part of a paid Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack*** membership.
- FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time: After drifting onto a mysterious island where a bygone civilization once prospered, you embark on a new life full of adventures. As you develop your island with crafting, quests and combat, you’ll also time travel to the past to uncover secrets and alter history! FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time launches for Nintendo Switch this year.
- PROFESSOR LAYTON and The New World of steam: In the newest entry in the beloved series, Professor Layton will face new puzzles in a fresh setting. Solve epic riddles as you progress through the story of this puzzle-fantasy adventure. Stay tuned for more details in the future.
This was an amazing Nintendo Direct with at least 11 games that I want to play day one. It is going to be interesting to see what comes next for Nintendo Switch and what game we see hit $69.99 after The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom