Final Fantasy VII Remake for PS4 is out now. With the PS1 original spanning three discs, Square Enix’s reimagining of this classic RPG focusses on the opening sections of the source material. While playing through Midgar is around 10 to 12 hours in the 1997 original, beating Final Fantasy VII Remake takes around 30 hours if you’re just focussing on the main story alone.
And if you’re a trophy hunter, you’re looking at a much longer playtime thanks to hard mode which unlocks after finishing it the first time. You’ll need to finish it a second time in hard mode for the platinum trophy.
While Final Fantasy VII Remake has no new game plus, you can replay any chapter you want if you’re looking to obtain every collectible, win every mini-game, and do every side-quest needed for the Final Fantasy VII Remake platinum trophy. While my playtime was around 30 hours, doing all of these will bump up your playtime to well above that.
How many chapters in Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy VII Remake has 18 chapters. They’re fully realised with Square Enix not resorting to any cheap tricks like crafting a chapter out of cut-scenes. Final Fantasy VII Remake’s chapters have a lot of gameplay and don’t feel like padding.
Final Fantasy VII Remake chapter list
- Chapter 1 – The Destruction of Mako Reactor 1
- Chapter 2 – Fateful Encounters
- Chapter 3 – Home Sweet Slum
- Chapter 4 – Mad Dash
- Chapter 5 – Dogged Pursuit
- Chapter 6 – Light the Way
- Chapter 7 – A Trap Is Sprung
- Chapter 8 – Budding Bodyguard
- Chapter 9 – The Town That Never Sleeps
- Chapter 10 – Rough Waters
- Chapter 11 – Haunted
- Chapter 12 – Fight for Survival
- Chapter 13 – A Broken World
- Chapter 14 – In Search of Hope
- Chapter 15 – The Day Midgar Stood Still
- Chapter 16 – The Belly of the Beast
- Chapter 17 – Deliverance From Chaos
- Chapter 18 – Destiny’s Crossroads
For what it’s worth, Final Fantasy VII Remake is a welcome return to form for Square Enix’s long-running franchise. Check out our review, detailed guides for its combat and mini-games, as well as everything else you need to know about the biggest RPG of 2020