On January 1, Sony finally announced the PS5 India release date and pre-order date. The PS5 India price is Rs. 49,990 for the disc variant and Rs. 39,990 for the digital edition. Pre-orders for PS5 begin on January 12 with a February 2 release date. Sony also confirmed several accessories and games for the same date in India. We were told by our sources before that 12,000 to 15,000 units would be ideal for India. Today, a Twitter account tracking PS5 launch details for India revealed that the PS5 Digital Edition and many of the accessories will not be available on the PS5 India release date. This information was also confirmed by IGN India.
“PS5 Digital Edition and select peripherals (Dual Sense charging station, HD camera and PS headset) will not be available in the launch window,” a Sony spokesperson confirmed to IGN India. “Please monitor our official channels for updates on release dates.”
PS5 India release date – what will be available on day one
Out of the hardware that was supposed to release on the PS5 India release date of February 2, the following will be available day one:
- DualSense controller – Rs. 5,990
- Media Remote – Rs. 2,590
The following will be available later:
- HD Camera – Rs. 5,190
- Pulse 3D Wireless Headset – Rs. 8,590
- DualSense Charging Station – Rs. 2,590
Where to buy the PS5 in India
- Games The Shop: The specialist retailer has the PS5 listed for pre-order registration. Considering its parent company E-xpress works with Sony in terms of distributing and selling digital codes for the PS Store and PS Plus, it’s a safe bet that it would have stock in time for launch.
- Amazon India: The e-commerce giant has always had a decent foothold in the games space in India in terms of volumes and scale. Outside of its Xbox One launch, the company has never really delivered on day one deliveries for games. Most notoriously with FIFA 16, 17, and 18 all being delayed. Perhaps it would fare better with the PS5.
- Flipkart: The Walmart-owned company was one of the earliest proponents of online sales. However it hasn’t been as aggressive as it used to be (which is a good thing when you consider how mismanaged past efforts have been). Hopefully it handles the PS5 launch efficiently.
- ShopAtSC.com: SC is short for Sony Center, which is Sony’s retail chain with a huge offline presence. Going online is a smart move if Sony decide to leverage its Sony Centers for delivery making it a strong option for PS5 pre-orders. Interestingly, it’s the only site with full PS5 specifications which is probably accurate considering well, it’s an online Sony Center.
- Croma: The large format Indian consumer electronics retailer was absent from selling video games for most of the generation in any meaningful way, the reasons for this turnaround are unknown but its presence is welcome all the same.
- Reliance Digital: Much like Croma, Reliance Digital hasn’t been too active in the video games space during the PS4 era. However it has the biggest footprint compared to the rest and has the PS5 listed too. Perhaps a way for Sony to broad-base PS5 pre-orders by reaching new audiences? We’ll probably know soon enough.
- Vijay Sales: It’s interesting to see this mainline electronics chain on Sony’s list considering gaming has never been a priority for it. Through the PS4 and PS3 era it never did bother too much with gaming and from all the retailers here we won’t be surprised if it will be the same this time around.
The PS5 India release date is February 2 with pre-orders going live on January 12.